Frequently Asked Questions

A. General Information

1. I Want to Study in Japan. Please Tell me How.  

Answer: Before you make your decision to study in Japan, it’s important to gather some key information. Start by researching the Japanese educational system, which encompasses schools, scholarships, academic fees, and living expenses. You have the option to apply for an English-based program at a Japanese university, where you’ll be enrolled as an international student. These programs are available at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Understanding Japanese culture and lifestyle will enhance your experience. At J-MENA, we’re here to guide you every step of the way, providing the support you need to succeed. Join us on our social media platforms to learn more about the English-taught courses, scholarships, and other resources we offer!

  You can find more details here! 

2. Do I Need to Learn Japanese Before Studying in Japan?

Answer: NO. Many universities in Japan now offer a wide range of English programs, making Japan an increasingly exciting and popular study destination. You can apply for an English-based program; Japanese language proficiency is NOT mandatory. Most undergraduate and graduate programs will require the TOEFL or IELTS exams for all international students to ensure adequate English proficiency to succeed in English-taught programs at Japanese universities. The general minimum score for TOEFL is 85, and for IELTS, it is 6.5. Please refer to the requirements of each program/university to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria.

3. Is it Expensive to study in Japan? Can I apply for Scholarships?

Answer: Studying in Japan is relatively affordable compared to other developed countries. The tuition fees for national universities range between 535,800 Yen and 642,960 Yen. Private universities may be more expensive than national universities. However, Japanese universities offer up to 100% tuition fee waivers based on your academic ranking. Students can apply for scholarships.

Please visit our page here

You can learn about life in Japan by specific area here

For more information about academic fees, please click here

4. What are the Main Requirements for Studying in Japan?

Answer: In many cases, the following application materials are required. It’s essential to research the specific admission requirements of the university you are interested in to understand their policies regarding GPA and entrance examinations. Many schools conduct entrance examinations for foreigners (international students). It’s essential to check the specific requirements of the university and program you are interested in, as they may have additional or different requirements. Additionally, some universities may conduct entrance examinations or interviews as part of the application process. 

  • Application Form (downloaded from the official website)
  • Graduation certificate or evidence of impending graduation 
  • Academic transcript(s) 
  • Language proficiency test score 
  • Letter(s) of recommendation 
  • Thesis or research work from your undergraduate institution, along with a summary  (for postgraduate applications)
  • Research proposal  (for postgraduate applications)
  • Additional documents as specified (Financial plan, Acceptance Letter from a Supervisor, etc.) 
  • Depending on the graduate program you apply for, some may require proficiency in Japanese, as lectures may be conducted solely or primarily in Japanese. In such cases, you might need to provide a Japanese proficiency certificate such as the EJU or JLPT. 
Check more details about the required examinations here.

5. When and How to Apply?

Answer: All prepared documents should be submitted online following the University admission calendar and system.

6. Are Japanese Universities Accredited?

Answer: Yes. Many Japanese universities are recognized internationally for their accreditation status. However, accreditation recognition may vary by country and institution. It’s advisable to research specific accreditation requirements and recognition in your target country or institution. 

You can choose your japanese university here!

B. English-Taught Programs Offered by Japanese Universities

Undergraduate Programs

1. What is the Study Period for a Bachelor’s degree in Japan?

Answer: Typically, undergraduate programs in Japan span four years for most fields of study. However, specialized programs like medicine or dentistry may require more extended study periods, up to six years. 

2. What Do Standardized Tests Mean?

Answer: In Japan, university admissions are typically based on the results of standardized entrance examinations rather than solely on GPA. Each university sets its admission requirements. Most universities in Japan require standardized testing for undergraduate admissions. Standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT are often utilized to evaluate a student’s readiness for higher education. Some schools have a particular entry procedure for students taking programs such as IB, AP, GCE A Level/IAL, Cambridge Pre-U. Applicants are evaluated based on their learning achievements up to the obtainment of the Diploma. Please refer to the requirements of each program/university to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria.

3. Can I Study Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmaceuticals in Japan in English?

Answer: NO. International students who want to study these majors must be enrolled in Japanese bachelor’s programs and submit their Japanese language certificate with the required level during the application process.

Graduate Programs

1. What is the Study Period for Postgraduate Studies in Japan?

Answer:  Master’s programs in Japan typically last two years. However, some exceptions exist, especially for specialized or intensive courses, where programs may be completed in one year.  Doctoral programs in Japan usually take around three to five years to complete. The duration can vary depending on factors such as the field of study, research progress, and whether the student is studying full-time or part-time. 

2. Why Do I Need to Prepare My Research Proposal?

Answer:  A research plan is a crucial document that applicants must submit with other required documents when considering graduate programs. A well-written research proposal aims to demonstrate that your research project has a clear work plan and the necessary competence to complete it successfully. Preparing a research proposal is essential because it helps you outline your research project’s objectives, methodologies, and significance. It also allows you to demonstrate to your future supervisor and university that you have a well-thought-out plan and can conduct valuable research.

3. How Can I Find a Hosting Laboratory and Connect with a Future Supervisor?

Answer: To find a hosting laboratory and connect with a future supervisor in Japan, you can start by researching universities or research centers that align with your academic and research interests. Once you have identified potential host institutions, contact faculty members or researchers whose work interests you. Introduce yourself, express your interest in their research, and inquire about possible opportunities to join their lab as a future master or doctoral student. It is essential to be proactive and professional in your communication and to tailor your inquiries to each professor you contact. Networking in advance is valuable for connecting with potential supervisors.

You can download this guide for your future applications! Preparing Your Future Postgraduate Studies in Japan!

4. Can I Apply for Research programs in Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmaceuticals in Japan?

Answer: International students can apply for postgraduate programs in medicine, dentistry, and pharmaceutical studies. Please make sure that your studies are research-oriented. Having an internship for practice will not be guaranteed.

C. Funds & Scholarships

1. How Do You Apply for the MEXT Through Embassy Recommendation?

Answer: The Japanese Government offers the MEXT scholarship once a year in April, which allows students to apply for an undergraduate or research position in the program. The scholarship covers the total tuition fees, flight tickets, and a monthly allowance for the entire program duration. The applicant must follow the admission process outlined by the Embassy of Japan in their home country to apply. You should visit the official website of the Embassy of Japan in your home country for more details and information.  

More details are available here!

2. How Do You Apply for the MEXT Through a University Recommendation?

Answer: Applicants must submit their documents online through the university’s admission system. The top-ranked accepted applicants will receive the MEXT scholarships.

3. Are there Any Other Sources of Scholarships?

Answer: Partial scholarships are also available through the JASSO organization.

For more details, you can visit the following website

D. Enrollment in Japanese programs / Study Japanese Language

1. What is the EJU Exam?

Answer: The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) evaluates whether international students who wish to study at the undergraduate level at universities or other higher educational institutions in Japan possess Japanese language skills and basic academic abilities.  

JASSO Official Website / EJU Exams

2. What is the JLPT Exam?

Answer: The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is a standardized criterion-referenced test for non-native speakers that evaluates and certifies Japanese language proficiency in language knowledge, reading ability, and listening ability. It is the official language proof used for university entrance. 

JLPT Official Website

3. Where Can I Study the Japanese Language in Japan?

Answer: If you have a passion for Japanese culture, anime, or manga and wish to grasp the language to immerse yourself in these interests truly, or if you are preparing to study or work in Japan and require Japanese language proficiency for effective communication and integration, numerous Japanese language schools in Japan offer a well-organized learning environment to help you master the language and develop a profound understanding of Japanese culture.

You can find Japanese Language Schools here!

E. Student Life in Japan. 

1. How Do I Apply for a Student Visa to Study in Japan?

Answer: To apply for a student visa, you must first secure admission to a Japanese educational institution. Once accepted, you can apply for a student visa through your country’s nearest Japanese embassy or consulate. Requirements usually include a Certificate of Eligibility issued by your institution, a passport, a visa application form, and other supporting documents.

2. Can I Have a Part-time Job While Studying in Japan?

Answer: Part-time work is allowed in Japan if you work no more than 28 hours per week. If you live in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka, part-time work can be a great way to earn extra cash. 

Learn more about part-time jobs here!

3. Can I Apply for Dormitories?

Answer: Although student dormitories operated by local governments and universities are available, approximately 79% of international students live in private houses or apartments. It is advised that you begin researching accommodation as soon as you receive notification of your acceptance to the university. You can find information regarding accommodation 1) at the school’s international student office, 2) online, or 3) by checking with real estate agents in the area you wish to live in. 

More details about dormitories are available here!

4. Is There Halal Food in Japan For the Muslim Community?

Answer: YES. There is Halal food in Japan. You can easily find some shops selling it. A special menu is prepared for Muslim students every day in the cafeterias of Japanese campuses.  

F. Joining the J-MENA Events and Online Sessions

All J-MENA Events are Announced Here!